Welcome to the official blog for Villanova's Gender and Women's Studies program! Please come back often for information on events, programming, academic opportunities, alumni news, student accomplishments, and more! Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

GWS Student Spotlight: Kevin Madden

Name: Kevin Madden

Year in school: Senior

Majors and minors: English major with minors in GWS, Spanish, and Honors

Hometown: Sarasota, FL

Favorite place you’ve ever traveled to: Regensburg, Germany

Favorite GWS class: Gender and the World with Travis Foster


Why do you study GWS/why is it important to you? I study GWS because it feels kind of subversive. It challenges me to interrogate the metanarratives I unquestioningly accepted growing up about what it means to be a man, to be gay, to be a feminist. I was surprised by how few of those assumptions actually held true when I applied a bit of pressure to them. Studying GWS has equipped me with the tools to critically engage a world that insists on telling me how to understand my identity, and it has cultivated a deep sense of compassion for others who have been told all their lives that they belong on the social periphery. I don’t think so. Feminism has something to offer everyone, and as I continue to grow through my studies, I understand more and more that having meaningful, unique experiences is our common denominator, the unifying factor. Solidarity through difference, whether those differences are shared or not. I don’t think I could have comprehended that without GWS.

No comments:

Post a Comment