Welcome to the official blog for Villanova's Gender and Women's Studies program! Please come back often for information on events, programming, academic opportunities, alumni news, student accomplishments, and more! Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

GWS Student Spotlight: Julia Tich



Name: Julia Tich 

Class: Junior 

Majors and Minors:  GWS with a concentration in Peace and Justice and a minor in Africana Studies I am originally from 

Hometown: Fallston, MD which is just outside of Baltimore

Favorite class: One of my favorite classes that I have taken at Villanova was a criminal justice course through the Peace and Justice department in which I gained incredible knowledge and perspective when it came to gender. Through the class I was able to tutor at Graterford Prison. My experience there really brought the issue of the prison industrial complex to a personal level and I was able to see how the intersection of race, age, and gender all play a huge role in targeting certain groups of people in a system of oppression. Beyond the system however, I witnessed how incredibly long sentences and lack of personal interaction have the potential to destroy the will and spirit of a human being.


Why is GWS important to you? I have enjoyed being a part of transgender and gender non-conformity advocacy on campus. My hope for Villanova is that regardless of gender identity or expression, students can feel and be free, safe, and have suitable accommodations- especially when it comes to housing and bathrooms. The study of GWS is not only important to me in terms of my major. I honestly believe my study of these topics has change my life and made me less judgmental, more loving, and more motivated to continue learning and advocating.gws

No comments:

Post a Comment